Black Smoky Eye – Tips & Mistakes!
Today I am here with kind of an interesting post as this was my first time ever trying out a full on glam black smoky eye makeup look and let’s just say that although I was very happy with the way it came out, I definitely learnt a few things along the way. Not only will I be showing you the look and the products used, but I will also be sharing some tips and mistakes I made while doing this look so that hopefully you guys can avoid making those in the future haha! Anyways, enough babbling and let’s in to the post!
TIPS & MISTAKES
- Make sure to do your eye makeup BEFORE the foundation as you will be working with dark colours and they will fall down and ruin your face makeup.
- Start off with transition shades first (light browns to dark browns to black) so that when you go in with the black shade, it blends in nicely with the lighter shades creating that smoky blown out effect instead of looking like a blob of dark colour.
- If you want that INTENSE black colour on your lids, use a rich and creamy black gel liner as a base all over your lids and then apply the black eyeshadow on top.
- Use a gentle hand when it comes to the dark shades and remember to keep the black shade low at first and gradually build it up.
- In order to attract more attention to the eyes, go in with some type of nude or light lip shade.
- Blend, blend and then blend some more. Now, this is kind of where I messed up. I did not spend enough time blending in the gel liner and the black eyeshadow, and so although the eyeshadow looks amazing with my eyes open, every time I closed my eyes, there was not a smooth finish to my lids and you could see the patchy-ness and streaky lines.
- Be patient. This is definitely a look that requires a lot of patience as you do need to build up the shades and because this was the first time I was doing this look, I was being a little hasty which made the eyeshadow look a little unblended especially on the outer edges.
FOUNDATION: MAC STUDIO FIX FLUID SPF 15 “NC 25”
CONCEALER: MAKEUP FOREVER HD ULTRA HD CONCEALER
BROWS: MAX FACTOR BROW SHAPER- DEEP BROWN
EYES: THE JACLYN HILL PALETTE & ELF CREAM EYELINER
MASCARA: MAC IN EXTREME DIMENSION 3D BLACK LASH MASCARA
BRONZER: TWO FACED DARK CHOCOLATE SOLEIL BRONZER
CONTOUR: ABH CONTOUR KIT
BLUSH: COVER GIRL CLASSIC COLOR BLUSH- ICED PLUM
HIGHLIGHTER: HUDA BEAUTY 3D HIGHLIGHTER PALETTE- AZORES
POWDER: ELF UNDER EYE SETTING POWDER & RIMMEL STAY MATTE
LIPS: HUDA BEAUTY LIQUID MATTE LIPSTICK- MUSE & LIME CRIME VELVETINES MATTE LIQUID LIPSTICK- ELLE & FENTY BEAUTY GLOSS BOMB
Have you guys ever tried a black smoky eye makeup look?
Would love to hear some of your tips and mistakes in the comments!
THANK YOU FOR READING! xx